Friday, June 30, 2017

The Long View: Being, in no particular order, 25 things I've bumped into along the way and have not forgotten. Yet.



3. Photography
The frame, the image, the composition (Ukiyo-e!), color or black and white, sharp, blurry, but always in focus. The art and practice of shadow-catching found me at a time when I was eager to find a way to capture what I was seeing, feeling, thinking. Photography filled that need and more. I could never really afford to get seduced by the technology. That was a good thing. It forced me to look at the work of the masters, early and contemporary -- Steichen, Bullock, Bresson, Arbus, Eggleston, Shore, on and on and on. At 12, I turned our only bathroom into a darkroom. My parents were very patient, supported my passion. Catching shadow and light, color and colorlessness has remained an obsession. I still take pictures every day. Some are snapshots, some are something else. What is the difference?

No comments:

Post a Comment