Thursday, June 29, 2017

The Long View: Being, in no particular order, 25 things I've bumped into along the way and have not forgotten. Yet.





2. Ukiyo-e
I figured out that I was an artist by age 10 or so. I knew I was but I didn't know what to do about it. That would come. Mentored by an older sister, I took up printmaking, woodcuts and linocuts. I made many, many, printed them on rice paper, gave them away, occasionally sold them. They are gone now. I kept a couple of the blocks. They're packed away in a dark box in a dank garage in soggyfoggy San Francisco. I may see them again, I may not. My interest in printmaking led me to Ukiyo-e, the Japanese woodblock printmaking movement that brought extravagantly beautiful color pictures to Japan from the 17th to the 19th century. The prints depicted everyday life, celebrities of the time, the natural world. One of the most well known Ukiyo-e images is Hokusai's The Great Wave. I did a Miro-a-sized version of it. Gone. I continued the printmaking until photography took hold of me. It has never let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment